Former world champion boxer, Zolani Tete shot de@d outside home in South Africa — Photo: Linda Ikeji's Blog
Former world champion boxer, Zolani Tete shot de@d outside home in South Africa
Former world champion boxer, Zolani Tete, has been shot de@d outside his home in South Africa at the age of 38.
The South African boxer was arriving at his residence in Mdantsane, in the Eastern Cape, and waiting for his gate to open when two armed men wearing balaclavas got out of a vehicle and opened fire, police said. A 27-year-old woman travelling with him was shot multiple times and taken to hospital, according to Gayton McKenzie, South Africa's sports, arts and culture minister, who confirmed the boxer's death on Friday. "I will not speculate about who did this or why," McKenzie said. Police have begun an investigation and the motive remains unclear. Tete, known as "Last Born", is best remembered for his 11-second knockout of fellow South African Siboniso Gonya in Belfast in November 2017, which remains the fastest stoppage in a world title fight, and was delivered in defence of the WBO bantamweight crown he won that year and held until 2019. The southpaw first became a world champion at junior-bantamweight, winning the IBF belt by beating Japan's Teiru Kinoshita in Kobe in 2014, having held the minor WBF flyweight title earlier in his career. His death comes just weeks after the end of the four-year ban he received for testing positive for the anabolic steroid stanozolol following his 2022 fight with Jason Cunningham. His suspension ended on July 29, and he had been planning a return to the ring. by Linda Ikeji at 22/08/2026 3:22 PM | Share this Story